TISS Courses Details
Would you love a career surrounded by the boundless energy, enthusiasm and optimism that comes from working with children?
Courses in Early Child Development and Child Protection are the solution! Offering you a flexible approach to learning, you can fit studying around your busy lifestyle.
Demand is strong for qualified professionals in the Child Right sector.
There is an acute shortage of professionally trained personnel to provide comprehensive services to children in difficult circumstances. There are a large number of personnel working in existing institutions, whether run by government or by non-governmental organizations, which need to be provided with adequate skills and hands on experiences for dealing with children in an effective manner and providing them quality services.
It stands to reason that, all children have the right to protection and development. They have the right to survive, to be safe, to belong, to be heard, to receive adequate care and to grow up in a protective environment.
In the family, school and community, children should be fully protected so they can survive, grow, learn and develop to their fullest potential.
Millions of children are not fully protected and developed. Many of them deal with violence, abuse, neglect, exploitation, exclusion and/or discrimination every day. Such violations limit their chances of surviving, growing, developing and pursuing their dreams.
The issue of Child Development and Protection has become especially relevant in recent times. This is evident from the numerous reports highlighting issues such as 12% of India’s children between the ages of 5 and 14 being illegally employed, around 50% being married before they turn 18, 50% facing some form of sexual abuse, and a half of all girls between the ages of 10-13 being forced to drop out of school. The complexity of the situation places responsibility on the service providers to constantly reflect on programmes and interventions in order to improve their design and enhance their potential to have a sustainable impact on children and their communities.
In this context, to promote Child Protection and Child Development through academia program TISS-SVE with Antakshari Foundation (Hub Partner) has introduced various degree and diploma courses are included. These courses would help to provide conceptual knowledge and professional training to existing field practitioners working in Child Rights sector as well as students interested in this field.
Need and Importance of the Courses
- B. Voc in Early Child Development
- The importance of Early Childhood Education has grown many folds. With an increase in the number of Early Childhood Centres, Anganwadis and Crèche’s the need for a child centric holistic program is also growing.
- To become a successful early childhood teacher, the first step is to know the child. The objective of this course is to disseminate knowledge and critical facts about child growth and development from conception to age 8 as well as provide the students with opportunities to apply knowledge learnt in the early childhood classroom.
- This course will introduce the students to the basics of child growth and development.
- B. Voc in Child Protection
- To fill the gap of professionally trained child protection field practitioners who recognize the situation and needs of vulnerable children, and who are equipped with perspectives and skills required for working with children, self and systems towards effective rehabilitation and protection of children.
- To equip the practitioners with skills and knowledge for building in micro level linkages between various departments, services, actors or stakeholders in the child protection field.
- To provide a diverse exposure to the participants to enable them to think differently, express confidently and act consciously in challenging child protection settings.
- To create an empowered group of practitioners who are equipped to enhance children’s life skills.
About the courses-
- Voc in Early Child Development
The B.VOC program for Early Child Development is a 3 year work integrated program that helps the students acquire all the prerequisite skills to become an elective Early Childhood educator.The syllabus ensures that the students gain a sound knowledge about the theories of child development and learning and also provides assignments and practical work to ensure that the students are able to apply the theories and bring them to practice. The students also gain professional knowledge and skills regarding their roles, responsibilities, ethics and rights of the children. The course combines theory and practical to provide a holistic learning experience to the students and prepares them for future job roles.
The focus and deliverable for each year of the course are given below.
In the first year, the students will be familiarized with the critical facts about child growth and development from conception to age 8 as well as provide the students with opportunities to apply knowledge learnt in the early childhood classroom. The students will be introduced to Teaching and Learning Strategies, Personal and Professional Development, Rights of the children, Children in the Indian Context, Children in the Indian Context, diversities in families and communities, Children with Special Needs and ECCD Programs in India. The first year will also include classes on Functional English, Personal grooming, Health, Hygiene & Safety and computing skills courses.
Level / Year 2
At this level, the students will gain a deeper understanding on Child Growth and Development and Personal & Professional development. the students will be familiarised with the concept of Rights of Children in ECCD setting , Curriculum planning and implementation, Financial Literacy, Digital literacy and Basics of legal & HR policies. This year will also include subjects such as Health Nutrition and Safety, Children with Special needs, Partnering with Parents and Community, ECCD Centres: Organization and Management and Basics of Accounting.
Year/ Level 3
In the last year, the students will be able to have farsightedness on Theories of Child Growth and Development, Rights of the Children – ECCE Program Implications, Curriculum Planning and Assessment. The students will also be introduced to Basics of Economics and Markets, ECCD Centres: Organization and management (in cont. to 2nd year), ECCD Programs – Global Perspective. It will also give an overview of Communication skills, Health and Fitness, Entrepreneurship and Employment readiness.
- B. Voc in Child Protection
The syllabus for the B.Voc. in Child Protection course is designed to provide professional training to existing field practitioners working in child care and protection institutions as well as students interested in working on child protection. The students will be prepared to deliver their role effectively, with a child rights approach and in best interest of the child. The subjects will cover knowledge of situation of children and their relationship with key stakeholder groups as well as their environment; the need for and the perspectives of working with vulnerable children; and the methods and programmatic responses to address children’s issues. The subjects also include topics related to self-awareness and requisite skills to engage in child protection practices with sensitivity, initiative and a collaborative spirit.
The vast knowledge and experiences of practitioners and experts in the country has been consulted and collated for developing the content and course manuals in addition to designing modules on topics that were not available.
Uniqueness of the Courses
- The courses will have 40% classroom theory and 60% practical exposure in the field through on the job training session.
- The courses beginning with one year Diploma Course move towards a two- year Advanced Diploma Course and leading to a three-year Bachelor of Vocational Degree’ which have a ‘any time entry and any time exit’ provision.
- The courses focused on enabling field workers to develop and strengthen the micro level linkages that would enable Integrated Child Protection and Development Services to reach out to children.
- The students will be linked with Skills Knowledge Provider (SKP). SKP’s will provide practical training to students and assess skills. The SKP’s shall be authorized to issue skill certificates to students the credits of which shall be incorporated by TISS while awarding level certificates.
- The students will be prepared to deliver their role effectively, with a child rights approach and in best interest of the child. The subjects will cover knowledge of situation of children and their relationship with key stakeholder groups as well as their environment; the need for and the perspectives of working with vulnerable children; and the methods and programmatic responses to address children’s issues.
- The cadre prepared through these courses will contribute to the plans and programmes of Ministry of Women and Child Development and State Government.
- After completing the courses students can move on to look for a job in the sector of Child Rights and Child Care in Government and Non-Government Organization and can do social work.
About the batch-
- Batch starting from: July session
- Application forms are available at Antakshari Foundation Office.
- Last date for enrollment: 10th June, 2018
- For admission please contact at Antakshari Foundation: D-3/190, Chitrakoot, Near Shalby Hospital, Gandhipath, Jaipur (Rajasthan).
- Visit us: sve.tiss.edu, www.antaksharifoundation.org
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more detailed information, please feel free to contact us: Phone No: 0141-411-3690, 0141-244-1474, 08118868969, 08058401819